BB>> replace "readable" by "understandable for inexperienced C programmers"

>      Unimportant.
here I have to agree - kernel programming is nothing for inexperienced
programmers, and will never be.

>      Note: this is myth.
well - my private email archives show that 'arkadifying code' is used as
synonym for 'hardly understandable cryptic stuff' - both incoming and
outgoing.

SOMETIMES this may be useful - and we used it: the kernel's memory
model is probably beyond most peoples understanding

using it ALL the time is nonsense.

However, the main kernel programming style was set forth ~10 years ago
by Pat Villani in the kernel original sources.

Both Bart and I didn't agree 100% with it (COUNT is discussable at
least), but agreed to KEEP this style as much as reasonable.