Hello,

In fact, I've had a working NLSFUNC for some weeks now. The only thing it needs for general availability is a kernel with functions 2f.1226 to 2f.1229. Actually, it works with the implementation of these functions that I posted to this list (I modified NLSFUNC to avoid running out of stack as Bart suggested) and it even works calling to the int21 equivalents (saving the caller stack and switching to a local one before calling int21).

Great. Sorry but I've missed your implementations - could you re-post them, so they're integrated?

Lucho, Steffen, everybody, we should have some discussion to determine which COUNTRY.SYS format we should use in FreeDOS.

We strive for MS-DOS compatibility, and MS-DOS, PC-DOS, PTS-DOS, OS/2, Windows 9x and Windows NT all use the same format that is so well described in the RBIL tables 2619-2622. So I chose that.

all I needed for FreeDOS was 24 hour time/european date, and I implemented it in the kernel.sys (rather then in some external COUNTRY.SYS), because it requires only a few bytes (for the current supported date,time, currency,...) and is hardly worth the requirement of an extra COUNTRY.SYS.

But as more and more countries and / or functions are added to the kernel, the need of an external COUNTRY.SYS (as in other DOSes) increases. Soon or later it would have to be separated. The sooner - the better. Now I dared to do this, knowing that not everybody will like it. Well, that's why we have two branches - stable (rock-solid, but stoned :) and unstable (dangerous, but moving :)

this changes IMO, if uppercasing tables etc. are supported for many countries, but not sooner; and I think that moving the date/time functionality to *require* COUNTRY.SYS is a step in the wrong direction (even if it suits lucho in his attempts to get a few byte smaller kernel)

Not only because Lucho wants a smaller kernel, but also because this allows for adding the future functionality. Who said that 24 hour time requires COUNTRY.SYS? Just change 1 bit in NLS_HC.ASM :)

Did you note in COUNTRY.ASM (in my CVSPATCH.TXT) that the US data is there, unlike the MS version? This means that USA may not be default anymore. (What's *the* important country missing there? ;-)

As to filename tables, I think that all file names should be only ASCII for greater compatibility. And as to other language tools, Chinese, Japanese and Korean users have their own tools for that, as Bulgarians and Russians have for the Cyrillic support. For example, we have a CYR.COM that does all the keyboard / screen stuff and is very convenient to use. Alas, as all Bulgarian software, it can't be used in FreeDOS, because not only it lacks sources, but even the authors are unknown! ;-)

There's nothing more discouraging that doing something and finding it not accepted. If so then I'm afraid I won't have anything more to do here except to say "goodbye" again, this time for good :-(

Regards from Bulgaria,
Lucho

------------------------------------------------------- SF.Net email is sponsored by Shop4tech.com-Lowest price on Blank Media 100pk Sonic DVD-R 4x for only $29 -100pk Sonic DVD+R for only $33 Save 50% off Retail on Ink & Toner - Free Shipping and Free Gift. http://www.shop4tech.com/z/Inkjet_Cartridges/9_108_r285 _______________________________________________ Freedos-kernel mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/freedos-kernel