At 04:50 AM 4/24/2004 +0200, Bernd Blaauw wrote:

>smallest allowable blocksize seems to be 4KB,
>so I'd like a utility which can check each 4KB.
>UMBPCI can do this right now (and even use it),
>UMBCHK cannot (16KB only),
>Emm386 I'm not sure if it can check in 4KB blocks,
>but it can use no smaller than 16KB blocks.
>fine by me, but still I'd like to know which blocks are usable in theory.
>UMB-list would be a collection of 4KB blocks, and each 4 blocks that directly follow
>eachother
>can be a UMB for EMM386.

DOS can deal with blocks down to 16 bytes, so you could probably run UMB size down
that low, although the overhead there wouldn't be worth it.  But 1K (or less) is
feasible.  It's a matter of how hard you want to squeeze memory and how much risk
you're willing to accept in BIOS conflicts for the amount you're squeezing.  16K is a
good risk balance.  Is 4K?  If 4K, why not 1K?

The EMS page frame does require a 16K-aligned boundary (C000, C400..E000), and is
typically 64K-aligned, but that's not a consideration for gathering small UMB blocks
outside of the page frame.