[EMAIL PROTECTED] schreef:
Jay Maus

How did you get the ISO onto the CD?

I burnt the .iso image using Nero. I've used this before to burn Linux distros which booted fine. I can see files etc on the cd but it just doesn't boot [and yep i've set the bios to boot from cd].

lots of people download the ISO, and it works fine. What brand of BIOS do you have (Award, Phoenix, AMI?). The used ISOLINUX cdrom-bootloader cannot handle buggy BIOS very well.

see for example http://www.zytor.com/pipermail/syslinux/2004-May/003521.html

I also like to know which Linux distro's and which versions of them you burned to
cdrom.
They generally also use ISOLINUX, but I use the latest-and-greatest.
(but not all versions work on all computers due to buggy BIOS implementations).

Maybe there is something wrong with the download. I'll download the image again see if I can get it to work.

verify the size matches exactly. If needed, also check MD5

What does the fdos1440.img do? Does that load FreeDOS into RAM?

it's a special bootdisk. It has several functions in menu1: -start Memtest86 (memory testing program, see www.memtest.org) -start Smart Boot Manager, which allows you to select cdrom as boot device if you have a buggy BIOS implementation. SBM has its own boot-from-cdrom code). -start FreeDOS. Indeed FreeDOS gets loaded into RAM (the 360KB image), just like booting from cdrom loads the 360KB image into RAM.

it has 1 option in menu2:
start FreeDOS from diskette.
this is a bit slower when comparing with loading FreeDOS parts into RAM.
Main purpose of this item is to allow 8086 and 80286 compuers to use the bootdisk.
Unfortunately, diskette installation isn't ready yet, but I plan to fix that
somewhere in June, when the final Beta9 will be released.

let me know if Smart Boot Manager helped you boot from cdrom properly.

Thanks, Robbie

Bernd

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email is sponsored by: SourceForge.net Broadband Sign-up now for SourceForge Broadband and get the fastest 6.0/768 connection for only $19.95/mo for the first 3 months! http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=2562&alloc_id=6184&op=click _______________________________________________ Freedos-user mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/freedos-user