Michael Devore schreef:
Specifically, with
device=a:\himem.exe
device=a:\emm386.exe x=test memcheck vds

Alright, one more time. I rewrote the VDS routines such that any reserved function which was unused (0, 1, 0dh-0ffh) no longer returns an error code, but simply sets carry flag and chains to old INT 4bh handler. That may get around a SCSI conflict. Or not.

our apologies for causing so much work and/or trouble, Michael :)
I doubt I can convince you to install VMware Workstation, so I cannot demonstrate the trouble I get when accessing C: while EMM386's VDS parameter/function is active.

You mentioned loading UDMA2 *before* EMM386 (with VDS) would bypass VDS somehow.

When loading UDMA2 from diskette directly *after* loading EMM386.EXE with VDS, disk access *also* works safely.

Is there some program available which gives a complete system state,
so I can try all states and find the difference between the logfiles?
It's probably called a 'debugger' but that gets too complicated for me :)

DEVICE=A:\HIMEM.EXE
DEVICE=A:\EMM386.EXE VDS NOEMS X=TEST
DEVICE=A:\UDMA2.SYS

FreeDOS kernel has been programmed nicely, after EMM386 has loaded and harddisk access would crash the machine, config.sys lines are still shown until you actually attempt to load a driver from the disk.

Anyway, it's probably time for me to try if the problem happens in another emulator also (qemu, bochs). If not, it might be a VMware bug. If it does happen - then it should be easily reproducible by you as these emulators hardly change things on your host system (unlike VirtualPC or VMware).

Will these revisions change anything? Don't know, but it's the best I can do without a misbehaving machine here to test. Hopefully no new error was introduced. Those with VDS-unhappy machines will need to try it out and report back results.

VDS vector was OK with at least the previous EMM386 ('cow'), so I don't think that's the issue.

To test this version of EMM386, amble over to ftp.devoresoftware.com\downloads\emm386 and download emmhorse.zip. As

either this is to scare non-technical people away (invalid URL) or you're spending too much time in DOS :)

ftp.devoresoftware.com/downloads/emm386

Bernd