Hi Michael:

I will have Steve try removing himem.exe/emm386.exe from
config.sys and running "naked.".  He is not very
knowledgeable about DOS and I don't have a SCSI computer,
so this may be a slow process.

He says he is seeing the following:

-----

Booting FreeDOS with kernel version 1.1.35 gives me the following 8 line error message at the bottom of the screen when the boot process fails:

Illegal Instruction occurred
CS=14C2 IP=FFFF SS=14C2 SP=01DC DS=0000 ES=0AEC
EAX=00008826 EBX=00760011 ECX=00000000 EDX=000001F6
ESI=00000000 EDI=00000000 EBP=000001F8
Opcodes @CS:IP 00 FE A2 9D 01 89 EC 5D
Aborting program
Bad or missing Command Interpreter: command.com /P /E:256
 Enter the full shell command line:

At that prompt I tried entering a:command.com and a:\command.com and got the "Bad or missing Command Interpreter / Enter the full shell command line" error message.

Ditto for d:command.com and d:\command.com.

Entering c:command.com or c:\command.com produces the 8 lines noted above.

-----

So, it looks like C: is being recognized...

THanks for your help!

Mark