At 09:07 PM 5/3/2006 -0400, you wrote:

Steve tells me it works without emm386 loaded, but fails with
X=test and NOVDS.  Is there any way to debug this remotely?

Separately fails with each option, or just together? No remote debugging that low-level on DOS. Looks like he might have one of those elusive SCSI machines I've been trying to track down, though.