Hello,

I could barely understand any of the installation directions for FreeDOS
because they were muddled up with information that does not pertain to me,
as I already have a primary FAT partition just waiting and ready to receive
it, so I just went ahead and ran the install off the bootable CD hoping that
it would be clear enough for me to follow. Boy, I was wrong.

My system is setup like this:

[Main drive]
[Primary Partition: NTFS (WinXP)] <- Windows calls this C:
[Secondary Paritition: FAT32 (Recovery] <- Windows calls this D:, FreeDOS
calls it C:

[Slave Drive]
[Primary Partition: FAT] <- Windows calls this F:, FreeDOS calls it D:

I wanted FreeDOS to leave my Recovery Partition alone and to install itself
on my D: drive. Instead, without any instruction from me, it has modified my
recovery partition, possibly rendering it permanently useless, and it
installed the packages to D: -- the C: drive isn't even bootable! If I try
booting that disk, it boots XP because XP is in the primary partition,
naturally.

I tried to make D: bootable by using the sys command, but when I boot the
disk now, I see some kind of unintelligible menu about an IO error that
stays on the screen for approximately one second before being flooded away
by about 1000 pages worth of identical Invalid Opcode errors. Once these
stop, pressing anything or attempting to reboot the system causes an
additional few hundred pages worth of semi-random ASCII to fly by and then
the system hard locks while blaring a high-pitched tone on the PC speaker.

I'm sure FreeDOS is great to use, but only if you can actually install it.
What have I done wrong, how can I fix it, and for God's sake, can somebody
please just explain the process of how to get FreeDOS onto a particular disk
without discussing things I *don't* need to do like FDISK or formatting? If
it isn't possible to use FreeDOS the way I want to (bootable from what it
thinks is my D: drive), I would also appreciate that being stated in plain
English. I'm a smart guy with a CS degree, but this stuff is still opaque to
me.

Thanks,

James Haley