Gerry Hickman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Today I did this from a FreeDOS bootable CD;
>
> 1. Use FDISK to delete all primary partitions, but leave MBR
> 2. FDISK /PRI:2000 (2Gb FAT32 Ext13)
> 3. FDISK /Activate:1 (boot to first primary at next HD reboot) <reboot>
> 3. FORMAT C: <say yes to confirm>
>
> I now have an empty working C: drive with FreeDOS boot sector
>
> I insert an MS-DOS 6.22 system floppy into A: and type
>
> SYS A: C:
>
> (I want to install MS-DOS boot-sector, IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS to C:)
>
> What happens next?? It installs FreeDOS boot sector, and kernel to the C
> drive!! That's not what I told it to do...

Where (what drive) are sys, kernel.sys, io.sys & msdos.sys on?
Or more clearly is kernel.sys and sys on the same (current) drive and
the MS-DOS files (io.sys & msdos.sys) on A:, so instead of looking at
the source drive sys appears to be using the kernel from the current
drive?  or are all three on the same drive, in which case you must
specify using the /OEM:MS (I think) option so that the FreeDOS kernel is
ignored, as default search order [which you may have found a bug in]
will assume you want boot the FreeDOS kernel before any other DOSes
(unless sys is compiled for Enhanded DR-DOS, in which case it flips FD
with EDR kernel names in its list).  Also please let me know which
version of sys you are using.

Thanks,
Jeremy