Hi Eric,

>>> 5. SYS B: C: /oem:ms (it says "system transferred")
>
> Which it probably did...

Yes, but there's obviously some major problems with this. To be fair,
it's probably unreasonable to expect FreeDOS to be able to install an
MS-DOS 6.22 boot sector from a FAT12 floppy to a FAT16 partition. It
would certainly be unreasonable to expect FreeDOS to be able to install
an MS-DOS 6.22 boot sector from a FAT12 floppy to a FAT32 partition!

However, I don't see why there can't be a simple program to install a
bootsector from a saved location as follows:

MS-DOS 6.22 -> FAT16
Win95/98 -> FAT32

In a previous post on the topic, it was suggested this isn't easy
because the boot sector contains "drive geometry information" and
therefore you can't just "save bootsectors" and expect to be able to
restore them back again. I don't know if this is true or not, but I've
certainly done similar things with WinImage and it worked fine, but
maybe WinImage is able to calculate geometry??

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)