At 11:38 AM 6/5/2006 -0400, John Hupp wrote:

>I am using current stable:
>kernel - 1.1.35 Build 2035b-cvs, 2006-05-21
>freecom - 0.84-pre XMS_Swap, 2006-05-21
>himem + emm386 - from emmx208 or emm208x ZIP archive
>
>I might have added to the original post by saying that this problem does
>not occur on an older 486 SX2-50 (no math coprocessor) in an ISA-only
>motherboard.  Only on this newer Pentium 100 with PCI + ISA.
>
>I could also have added that all my DOS games (Doom, Quake, Duke,
>Spacequest, Beneath A Steel Sky) run fine on this computer and configuration.
>
>On the chance that there was a physical memory problem I dropped from 16
>to 8 MB (no difference), and then also swapped in the extra 8 MB (no
>difference).
>
>One thing I noticed in further testing was that Draw, Paint and Doodle
>have the most problems.  All freehand programs.  And if they load
>successfully, then they work until you try to close them.  Artline is
>rather stable by comparison, though it does not seem to offer a freehand
>tool, at least that I could find quickly.
>
>If I drop all the way to no HIMEM and no EMM386, there is insufficient
>memory to run Artline or Paint.  Draw, Write, Tetris, Scgem, and Fanwor
>all seemed to work.  But Doodle locks the machine when it closes.

Okay, I tested OpenGEM 5 under FreeDOS and was able to get lockups at
various times, using HIMEM with or without EMM386 loaded.  Unfortunately, I
was also able to get out of memory errors and lockups after working with
different OpenGEM utilities under Microsoft HIMEM on a FreeDOS
kernel.  This was on a Athlon 3000+ machine.

The lockups were hard, i.e. Ctrl-Alt-Del did not recover.  This may be
because OpenGEM controls the keyboard vectoring, and it is possibly still
"alive" under the lockup, although for the user's purposes, that may be a
distinction without a difference.

Anyway, given that the problem occurs with Microsoft memory managers, I
believe you have one of three situations:

  1.  OpenGEM 5 has one or more operational bugs, OR
  2. OpenGEM 5 or its underlying language (TP?) has one or more problems
with very fast machines or machines with large amounts of free extended
memory, OR
  3. OpenGEM has one or more incompatibilities with the FreeDOS kernel.

I don't think whatever is happening is a fault of either FreeDOS HIMEM or
EMM386, since similar problems can occur without either loaded.