My (pure) FreeDOS installation was as loaded by the 0.9 Beta SR2 CD, except
that I updated the kernel and freecom.

I was using current *stable*:
kernel - 1.1.35 Build 2035b-cvs, 2006-05-21
freecom - 0.84-pre XMS_Swap, 2006-05-21
himem + emm386 - from emmx208 or emm208x ZIP archive (though that was a moot
point when running tests without either)

You can run with a test configuration like this:

BUFFERS=30
FILES=40
SHELL=C:\command.com C:\ /E:512 /P=C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT
SET DOSDIR=C:\FDOS
SET TEMP=C:\FDOS\TEMP
SET TMP=C:\FDOS\TEMP
CTMOUSE

I was using OpenGEM Release 5, the Complete version downloadable from
http://gem.shaneland.co.uk/fullversions.html

Install everything on a FAT32 partition to see the problem behavior (or on a
FAT16 partition to see everything working fine).

The GEM apps triggering the problems are Doodle, Draw and Paint, though if
you run without HIMEM you won't have enough memory to run Paint.

I did test with COMMAND.COM from MS-DOS 6.22 and got the same results as
with FreeCOM.

--John Hupp