As promised detailled error description...

PC description:
Intel Pentium III 600 MHz
256K Cache
ASUS P2B Motherboard (Intel 440BX Chipset, AWARD ACPI Bios Rev. 1012)
384 MB SDRAM (133 MHz)

3COM 309B 10/100 PCI Ethernet Adapter

Config.sys commands for HIMEM/EMM386:
DEVICE=\HIMEM.EXE /TESTMEM:ON
DEVICE=\EMM386.EXE NOEMS X=D000-D800

Error Description:
With VDS on Machine completely hangs when trying to logon to w2k-domain
with Microsoft Network Client 3.0
With VDS off network initialisation is interrupted when loading netbind,
saying hardware failure
It seems that I/O for Floppy and ramdisk is slower than using QHIMEM and
UMBPCI

QHIMEM/UMPBPCI: no error
HIMEM.SYS/EMM386.EXE (Microsoft) on DOS6.22: no error

Michael, how can I help you to find out what is wrong?

Norbert.