well perhaps a prog can be done to backup boot sector, *BIO.SYS and DOS.SYS,
and command to a directory  and have a restore switch -r to restore

cd\
if  "%1"=="-r" goto restore
md\freedos\old
attrib -h -s IO.SYS
attrib -h -s MSDOS.SYS
attrib -h -s IBMBIO.SYS
attrib -h -s IBMDOS.SYS
copy *IO.SYS \freedos\old
copy *DOS.SYS \freedos\old
copy COMMAND.COM \freedos\old
readb.com
copy BOOT.BSS \freedos\old
attrib +h +s IO.SYS
attrib +h +s MSDOS.SYS
attrib +h +s IBMBIO.SYS
attrib +h +s IBMDOS.SYS
:: or just delete them since fd replaces it?
goto exit
:restore
copy \freedos\old\*.* \
attrib +h +s IO.SYS