Hi!

>> Volume name too long:
>>   FDOS_1_0_FINAL
>> filename too long:
>>   fdos\bin\align_test.exe
>>   fdos\bin\bzip2recover.exe
> When burning in linux using k3b we can hide long names in a trans.tbl

I would recommend to just rename those files instead :-).
How about "aligntst" and "bzip2fix"?

> disk remain 8-3 friendly.  I do not know if we can port k3b to freedos
> but the basic command line utility it calls should be doable then its
> just a matter of the command line.

Actually k3b is more or less just a very user friendly user
interface for command line tools like mkisofs and cdrecord.
And k3b is very bloated and kde oriented so it would be very
hard to port it to DOS. Still k3b is really cool. Well. If you
have at least 256 MB RAM. It is a bit tight on RAM on my PC.

> Have we a native writing utility??

There is a DOS port of mkisofs and there even is DOSCDROAST,
which is a collection of ported tools like mkisofs, cdrecord,
several cdrom/cdwriter drivers, user interface... A nice
solution for writing cdroms and (non-udf, only iso9660) dvds
in DOS. The only problem is that some of the drivers should
officially be downloaded from the vendor homepages while the
DOSCDROAST makers just added them to their distro itself.

Eric