Hi Dennis,

Dosbox normally uses a built-in simulation of DOS,
not a real separate DOS. For sound in DOS boxes,
I think there was something called NTVDM. If you
have Linux, you should use Dosemu, which is a
virtual PC specialized for running DOS fast. You
can boot a real DOS in recent Dosbox versions,
but that does not affect how well it does sound.

> Was thinking of using DOS 6.22, but then saw FreeDos.
> What reasons might I chose one over the other?

FreeDOS is free and can use more modern hardware.
For example MS DOS only can use the first 8 GB of
your harddisk and cannot use FAT32 partitions...
On the other hand, MS DOS has better compatibility
with 32bit modes of the Windows 3 family (note that
WfW 3.11 is relatively useless in 16bit mode). You
can also try DR DOS or spin off variants, which have
reasonable licensing even though not fully free.

Talking about other free software, some people say
that MS QBASIC is free - but you can also try the
FreeBasic.net FREE alternative. FreeDOS itself has
many of the tools you know from MS DOS, but it does
not include QBASIC, DBLSPACE, DOSSHELL, BACKUP/RESTORE,
INTERLNK, maybe others. For some other tools, there are
non-MS-style alternatives included. For example DOSFSCK
is somehow similar to SCANDISK (interactive filesystem
check and repair) but has a different user interface;
While SCANDISK can create undo-disks, DOSFSCK has a
mode to simulate the changes without actually writing.

> Does FreeDos work under XP or needs to be booted separately?

You can use the tools / apps of FreeDOS in XP, but of
course with some limitations. For example XP will not
let DOS tools FORMAT harddisks. And you cannot boot
the kernel of FreeDOS in XP itself, only in an emulator
like Bochs, Qemu, VMware, VirtualPC, Dosbox, etc. So
without our kernel, most of your DOS compatibility in
the DOS window of XP simply depends on how much DOS
compatibility XP gives your DOS window.

> My music app needs an mup401 or a serial port, so that's an issue.

Only hardware can solve this if you boot DOS separately.
If you run DOS in some sort of window, the sound will
depend on the virtual hardware of that window, and will
still be independend of your DOS version. One exception
is that SBLive / SBPCI come with DOS drivers (which only
work when you boot DOS separately afair?) which create a
sort of emulator with virtual SoundBlaster16 hardware while
DOS keeps using your real hardware for everything else.

Eric