I saw there was a tool that looked like fsck from unix (dosfsck) is says it
understands
fat32(LBA) so I tried to reinstall with fat32(lba) the bootable cd crashes just
after detecting the
hard drive, so I'm guessing the OS doesn't want itself on a fat32 fs?

I guess I'll have to live with a *big* cluster size.

You mentioned something about using a boot floppy and 'mounting' the cd-rom iso
image
from it for installation. where would I find an image of the floppy that has
the needed utilities?

I'll reformat to fat16(lba) and copy over the ISO and other downloaded files
for it
and try to reinstall again.

I remember using 4dos vs command.com to get better shell scripting, I saw
you have 4dos available. To use it would I change the entries in config.sys
to use that instead of comand.com?

I accidently used ls instead of dir, it said I didn't have something -
I'm guessing an XMS/EMM386 type thing? I remember using QEMM
for memory managment, but understood they have since gone out of
business?   Is that something the installer never got to, due to waiting
forever for the DHCP reply? I was advised to just not install networking stuff
for the 1st install, do I just untick all the things that look like networking?
The packet driver does find the NIC and ID it correctly.

How do I install the 'packages' that were not installed at installation?

Sorry to be such a bother *sigh*

Fuzzy