Hi Chris,

> I've been following FreeDOS on and off for a while, thinking it would
> be fun to write a version of InterLNK in my non-existent free time.
> Alas, it will have to wait.

Good idea! Original interlnk did the following: A driver on the server
side kept more or less the whole server busy, and transferred raw disk
sectors to/from the client. The client driver behaves as any disk or
ramdisk driver, but communicates with the server instead of using ram
or a local disk for storage. There is also the filemaven freeware file
mgr which has file transfer functionality but which does not create a
DOS drive letter. Instead, you just use the file mgr to transfer the
files :-). Last but not least, a FTP style Samba command line client
exists for DOS. It is a DJGPP DOS port of the Linux smbclient tool.

> My current project is to use FreeDOS to get a minimal Ubuntu
> installation on my ancient ThinkPad 750P: 5GB disk, 36MB RAM

Pretty small RAM-wise :-). But you could run Linux 2.2 based
distros on 12 to 32 MB RAM more or less. Dunno if you have a
chance with a modern but light Xubuntu ;-).

> make a FreeDOS boot floppy with card and socket services and
> a driver for my PCCard SD card reader [and then loadlin/linld]

Sounds okay but you could also boot from a floppy Linux distro
or a DOS network floppy and then download the file via network...
I think SD readers are not really trivial to support, as they
are less standardized than PCMCIA/CF or USB storage...?

Eric