had to steop them and skip the problem statements but it made the cd drive
A: if I remember correctly and the A: drive c: and It did not list my two
hard drives. Well I had to step thru the boot files because as it booted it
have a couple of errors so I stepped thru and bye passed the ones that was
giving the problem and got it to boot. But then it did what I already told
you about the drives "maybe needing a driver for the drives I have don't
know enough" and it did not have my 2 hard drives listed and changed the
other two as I have already stated. Then I went looking on the cd for the
sys.ini auto.exe.bat config.sys and other boot files which is obvious I
dodn't know what boot files free dos uses and couldn't find them. Know they
have to be there somewhere but maybe I was looking for the wrong file names.
When I found them I was going to take out the problem boot statements after
I re-burned Free Dos on a rewriteable CD. Well as I said I couldn't find
them don't know what to look for and am stumped unless you can shed some
light on these problems.

Ron Spruell Sr.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Eric Auer
Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2008 2:28 PM
To: freedos-user@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Freedos-user] Network sharing

Hi Ron,

> But I am not oin the league of you folks that get into the guts of
> this DOS. The question I have is this Can one of you if not a team get
> together and fix this DOS so that I or anyone could boot from a DVD or

Well to fix it, you would first have to tell us what is broken...

> CD which ever and run this DOS off that media? I would also want it to

Booting FreeDOS from CD/DVD is relatively easy, and some people have
howtos on their homepage where they explain how to make bootable DOS
CD/DVD. Use rewriteable CD/DVD for your experiments, then you can
reuse them until you made a really nice version :-).

> recognize all my drives including the memory card readers?
> Would this be impossible?

Memory card readers can be hard, but USB sticks are usually okay.
Often they are even supported by the BIOS, so DOS needs no drivers.

> If not I would really like to have this DOS to be able to run
> off a DVD or CD in other words boot from either.

Yes, no problem. I usually burn the official FreeDOS ISOs or pre-
releases of them on DVD-RW when I want to try them :-). Booting
from DVD is pretty similar to booting from CD. You only have to
take care that only ISO and not UDF filesystems are supported,
apart from that, DOS can read both CD and DVD.

> can't take the chance I would mess something up and not
> be able to fix it. And I wouldn't have the knowledge to fix

Its often easier to fix Windows than you would think, as long
as you have the emergency console tools on diskette or CD. Do
not confuse them with the stupid "reinstall Windows and delete
all data, then at least Windows works again" function in XP.

If you use the 1.0 ISOs, you have to take care that they are
meant for installing DOS on harddisk. You may prefer to make
your own "use only, do not install" CD because of that. See
the howtos online. A good DOS base can be the diskette distro
from Rugxulo: http://rugxulo.googlepages.com/ which is also
much newer than FreeDOS 1.0 :-).

Eric