Hi Ron,

nice to know that Spinrite for DOS now supports NTFS, but what
does Spinrite do? Defragging, disk checking...?

About the drive letters: You cannot boot a full DOS from raw
cdrom, so we use a virtual A: drive. The contents of that
drive are on a diskimage on the cdrom. The normal diskette
drive is called B: while the virtual drive is used - only
when you have booted from cdrom, in other words. There are
cdrom drivers on the virtual A:, which allow DOS to use
the "normal contents" of the cdrom after booting. I think
DOS will call the normal cdrom drive X: then.

About the whereabouts of shsurdrv and problems with the
LiveCD caused by them, please ask Blair Campbell (email
blairdude at gmail dot com) whether this is a known bug
in FreeDOS 1.0 and if so, how you can fix it. Maybe he
can just make a fixed ISO for you...

Eric :-)

PS: You talked about a 5 MB harddisk in the old days...
Actually you can squeeze almost all of "FreeDOS base"
on 3 diskettes today, including lots of documentation.
I once booted Windows 3.1 from a tiny 256 MB USB stick,
which felt weird as it originally lived on 40 MB HD and
a few MB of RAM. Today you have gigs of USB and RAM...