Eric Auer schreef:
> To find out which packet driver you need, you can use PCISLEEP
> (if it is not part of your FreeDOS install, just search the web)
> to get a list of PCI / AGP / PCIe / onboard-PCI devices in your
> PC. Look at the devices in the "network" category. You can search
> the web for the device ID, but often you can already guess the
> type from the number. A nice lookup service is the PCI IDs page:
> http://pci-ids.ucw.cz/iii/?i=10ec8139 for example tells you that
> device 10ec:8139 is RTL-8139. The subsystem ID would show you
> which brand of RTL8139 based device you have, but this makes no
> difference for the choice of driver: All RTL8139 should work
> with the classic RTSPKT 100mbit driver which can be found in
> various collections like the Sioux one mentioned by Fabien.

I think you wrote me a tool called BERNDPCI or something, Eric? I never
got around to using it.
Anyway, PCISLEEP isn't as extended as PCIscan listed at
http://www.nu2.nu/utils/#pciscan
Nor does it support the huge PCI textfile database at
http://members.datafast.net.au/dft0802/downloads.htm

Current FreeDOS setup batchfiles by Blair for loading correct packet
driver are a lot of lines of:
"rem PCI card with PCI DEVICE ID 12:34, load XYZ.COM"
"if [PCI-ID] == [12:34] then load packet driver XYZ.COM"
> As Fabien said, the settings for your home LAN go into wattcp.cfg,
> but you can often get things working with a very simple wattcp.cfg
> which only says "use DHCP", more or less. There are explanations
> about which variables can be set and to which values inside the
> default wattcp.cfg file :-).

DHCP is a nightmare under DOS somehow, many complaints arrived as
FreeDOS installation used this by default and then appears to hang.
No idea why a simple ADSL-router wont cooperate with this DHCP thing.
>> I don't want to have to reinstall Freedos just for the new hardware.

You'd never need to reinstall FreeDOS. You can just place driver files
anywhere you like, then make a reference to them in config.sys or
autoexec.bat

> relevant settings to your FreeDOS box :-). If you cannot
> find config in files, you can still do "mem /d /p" or use
> similar tools to find out which drivers got loaded :-).

"MEM /C /N" I've always preferred :)