Hi Tony,

> I already know how to make USB drives DOS (msdos)
> bootable and write bootable images to them.

Well... Which tools do you use? Do you mean bootable
diskette images? Or other images? To get a bootable
FreeDOS diskette image, just pick one of the three
disks on http://rugxulo.googlepages.com/ ... :-)
Difference between the 3 is compatibility (8086 vs
386 or newer) and shell (FreeCOM vs 4DOS). Plus of
course beyond booting they contain all sorts of apps.

> The Freedos Installer does not allow the selection
> of a USB drive in order to install Freedos to.

True. Either your BIOS supports USB drives natively,
then FreeDOS installer does support them, or you need
USB drivers. All available USB drivers for DOS are
made by hardware vendors or are otherwise commercial,
so we cannot add them to our CDROM. Of course you can
download a DOS USB driver and then do something like
"SYS F:" using FreeDOS SYS to put DOS on your USB :-).

> The only drive the installer would see is the C drive,
> which contains XP Pro- but XP sees the USB drive just fine.

Sure. Other than Windows 98, Windows XP already includes
generic USB storage device drivers :-).

> Does anyone have docs on how to install Freedos onto a USB drive?

I forgot the URL, I think Mark had some docs about Dell tools
for XP which can install FreeDOS to USB... But I found something
else in my archive: Last september, Jari Turkia made USB boot
images with FreeDOS 1.0 ... Enjoy :-)

http://opensource.contentbakery.fi/freedos/FreeDOS%201.0%20bare_USB.img.bz2
http://opensource.contentbakery.fi/freedos/FreeDOS%201.0_USB.img.bz2
opensource.contentbakery.fi/freedos/fdfullcd%20JaTu-version%20w%20USB-drivers.iso.bz2

Eric

PS: Of course 1.0 is quite old compared to the Rugxulo distro ;-)