I'm going to use the prefix ---> for my replies to Eric message

Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 13:13:42 +0200 (MEST)
From: Eric Auer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Freedos-user] about install freeDOS over vmware
To: freedos-user@lists.sourceforge.net

Hi!
---->Hi!!

> -At the end the install will try to configure, but probably hang up
> (do not worry)

Maybe if you tell vmware to activate the network before you install?
This is MOMENT X, see below.

---> I had the network activated in vmware, before start to install,
moreover i tried some times and all times the install crash.

http://fd-doc.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?n=FdDocEn.FdInstall
http://fd-doc.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?n=FdDocEn.FdDependencies

Suggests another solution: Do not install network related packages
at that moment - install them later. This avoids the MOMENT X hang.

---> I didn't try this option, because i  want all the packages, but it is a
good idea do not select network

> -After reset FreeDos.
> -You could see a boot menu with memory options (option 2 EMM386+EMS:
> crash in vmware) you must choose 1 or 3

What are 1 or 3? And do things work if you replace emm386 by
www.japheth.de jemm386 which is more up to date? You may want
to read its docs to adjust the (fd)config dot sys line further.

----> these were the options
---->MENUDEFAULT=2,5
---->MENU 1 - Load FreeDOS with EMM386, no EMS (most UMBs), max RAM free
---->MENU 2 - Load FreeDOS with EMM386+EMS and SHARE
---->MENU 3 - Load FreeDOS including HIMEM XMS-memory driver
---->MENU 4 - Load FreeDOS without drivers

> -Configuring the network card (vmware emulate a AMD 79c970A -PCNET family)

Using vmware config screen I assume...

----> In vmware you can select the model of networkcard(or I don't know the
method). I needed to search info to know the model card emulated.

> -Go to fdos directory (cd fdos)
> -In theory you must execute crynwr.bat file (script) BUT there
> is a problem in the script when you select 1 or 5 then script
> crash (*).

What is 1 or 5?

---->from crynwr.bat
---->
---->echo 1) Attempt to detect PCI-based adapters (recommended)
---->echo 2) Select an ISA-based packet driver and specify parameters
---->echo 3) Use a driver disk and load a vendor-provided driver
---->echo 4) Load a QEMU compatible driver
---->echo 5) Load a VMWare compatible driver
---->echo 6) Shell to DOS to load a driver
---->echo 7) Dial via a modem
---->echo 8) Do not load a packet driver
---->echo.
---->choice /t1,10 /n /c:12345678

> However the solution is very simple:
> You can execute the next command:
> c:\FDOS\drivers\net\crynwr\pcntpk int=0x60

Or even better, add it to your autoexec or fdos fdauto dot bat :-)

---->when i wrote this instructions i was thinking in people with the
minimun experience with DOS, because i write in a blog before to write here.
(www.bloglon.blogspot.com)

> ***network working :)

> and now you can surf in internet with arachne webbrowser
> c:\FDOS\arachne\arachne

> (*) my point of view about the script problem, I think the main reasons
are:

> - c:\fdos\temp directory isn't created
> - FreeDos by default doesn't start autoexec (i don't know why)

It might by default use c:/fdos/fdauto.* instead, look at your
config or fdconfig dot sys file ;-) This is to make it easier
to install FreeDOS and for example Windows 98 on the same disk.

---->my FDconfig.sys
---->SHELLHIGH=C:\FDOS\bin\command.com C:\FDOS\bin /E:1024
/P=C:\autoexec.bat

> - crynwr script try to write in a variable %autofile% and this variable
> don't exist, i suppose %autofile% should be assigned to autoexec
> - FreeDos by default doesn't start autoexec ?why?

See above. Another possibility is that it WOULD have
configured all that after MOMENT X, so maybe things
work a lot better if you avoid the "moment x hang",
see above. Let me know if that helps, thanks :-)

---->I will try this in a future, but I think It will be good to have a good
instructions for normal people (maybe people who never used MsDOS).
---->You give some ideas, and i will try, but really i haven't big problems
because i used MsDOS in the past.
---->However I would like who everyone could try freedos without a
frustrating experience, and with vmware the environment is the same for all,
we can to prepair a perfect step to step instructions.

---->Thanks Eric, and thanks to all