On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 3:32 AM, Michael Reichenbach
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Mateusz Viste schrieb:
>>> Frankly, I'd like to see Microsoft forced to open source it's
>>> abandoned operating systems.  If Microsoft can do something totally
>>> different like Vista, there's no excuse for keeping something ancient
>>> like MS-DOS 7.0 closed.
>>
>> Well... I'm not sure we would really need such open MSDOS 7.x anymore
>
> It would be a cool option if anyone could legally look into it for
> reference. But I think now the FreeDOS project has to less manpower to
> review and cannibalize MS-DOS anyway.

I've attempted contact with Microsoft on several occasions through the
years, asking various people if they could re-release an old MS-DOS
under an open source software license. I last tried as recently as a
month ago, with the guy from Microsoft's open source lab, but he never
responded.

That no one has been willing to continue this discussion past a few
emails says one or two things about the topic. Either:

1. Microsoft is not really interested in the effort it would take to
do a close review of all the source code to MS-DOS, so they could
release it under an open license. Possibly this includes
previously-licensed code from third parties for use in MS-DOS.

or,
2. Microsoft has some dirty secrets in the source code to MS-DOS.

Personally, I suspect both. :-)

In the end, I just don't think Microsoft is ever going to release a
version of MS-DOS under an open source software license. This is too
bad, but something I've come to accept, and I've given up trying to
convince them.

Others are welcome to contact Microsoft to continue the discussion, however! :-)

-jh