pcdos2k schrieb:
>> Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 09:13:55 -0500
>> From: Spiro Gulgas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> Subject: [Freedos-user] DOS Compatable Soundcards in PCI?
>>
>> Now that i got a new PC, i'll be using my older one
>> (2001 - not that
>> old, today's standards make it seem like an IBM PC).
>>
>> Just Wondering is there any dos compatable soundcards with
>> PCI Support
>> and AdLib...
>>

> avoid creative sb pci of any kind. i highly recommend ESS Audiodrive pci
> soundcards from esstech.com (solo, maestro, allegro). they give the least
> problems when setting up for DOS. if they don't work, other pci sndcards will
> most likely fail also. ESS isa cards don't need drivers, only the correct
> BLASTER= setting.
>
> btw, esstech is NOT ensoniq. the drivers are still available from their
> website. the downside? the official drivers are win installers. i ripped the
> dos versions here:
> http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?p=138640

Creative cards have one advantage: creative made the old soundblaster
defacto standard and there cards where not "100% compatible", them are
"the original". Their PCI cards have very accurate emulation. For me
also working very well for any EMM386 compatible one.

Why a creative PCI card should not work in some fully functional
motherboard with PCI?

Esstech cards don't need drivers and work with motherboards without BIOS
emulation support? Sounds interesting. How can this work?

-mr