On Sun, January 18, 2009 19:28, Eric Auer wrote:

>> As far as web browsing and dos, isn't dos susceptible to almost
>> every single virus on the planet?  Another thing, some people
>> want to run dos thinking that it can't browse the Internet.
>
> DOS is too old to support modern viruses, so unless you download
> infected copies of old DOS software, risks are quite acceptable.
> And of course you can use antivirus software for DOS...

Disk space is almost ubiquitous.
Lets say your 486 has a 500 MiB hard disk, which was quite big at the
time. I can now fit that 16 times on my 8 GiB usb stick.
Just make regular backups, and keep a clean image. Make one before you go
in the interwebz.
Got a virus? Just wipe the disk and put the image back. It only takes a
couple of minutes.

I think that, except for the embedded developers, most FreeDOS users use
it on a hobby machine. It's not a bad idea to isolate it from your main
network. Put it on a separate subnet, in a DMZ. Sandbox it. Or virtualize.
Qemu works great on Linux.

>> I want to go the Netware route because Netware without
>> special IPX to IP gateway software isn't Internet compatible
>
> You want to avoid internet compatibility??

²
I just want to know, is FreeDOS IPv6 compatible?
;-)

>> I'd like to see the MARS netware emulator brought
>> over to freedos and revived.
>
> Why not, say, Samba? There already is smbclient for DOS.

Didn't know that! Kewl!

>> of Freedos being to revive old computers that aren't
>> powerful enough to run Windows or Linux and I see it's
>> purpose as being to provide a simple OS for the embedded
>> computing market.  Yes Freedos can be run in an emulator,
>> but that isn't my favorite application of it.
>
> It is indeed useful for embedded computing and when you
> want a small OS which is not in the way while you want
> to access your hardware directly. I also like running it
> in dosemu or full emulators, for old games and testing.
> As I only use one (modern, fast, energy-efficient) PC
> normally, I do not typically revive ancient PCs ;-).

I have an ancient laptop, small and light enough to carry around, and with
reasonable battery life. I'll make it my netbook avant-la-lettre. I just
have to get the network card working.

>> Something that would be nice would be a modified dhcp
>> client for freedos that through some reasonable trick
>> can accept a different configuration for a particular
>> machine than it would normally get.  I'm thinking, an
>> isolated network for freedos with an update repository
>> on that network would be nice.  The alternative...
>
> I see no reason to isolate DOS. Only servers are at risk
> regarding "bad internet trying to infect your PC" and in
> DOS, you do not have any server running in the background.
> That said, I wonder how safe Sioux / EzNos DOS servers are.
> (And you can also tweak dhcp SERVERS, instead of clients)

Isolation of DOS isn't a client issue, it's a server/network issue.
You don't need a modified DHCP client.
You only need a well organized network with subnets/VLANs, and a good DHCP
server.

>> One request for freedos is a nice Gem based backup program
>> that can back the system up in part or in entirety to
>> anything from a network share to a local DVD burner or
>> hard disk.  I'm thinking a modern and free program
>> with a MyBackup like environment.
>
> While it is not GEM, what do you think about:
> cdd c:\ and then...
>
> - xcopy /e /s c:\ x:\ (where X: is your USB stick or similar)
> - zip -r x:\everyth.zip c:\ (same idea as above but compressed)
> - use doscdroast GUI or mkisofs/cdrecord (iso9660 CD or DVD)

Indeed.
But for my personal use, I prefer 7zip. It has superior compression rates.

--
Amedee
who will be following this list with more attention, and who will ask