I use FreeDOS because I have an old laptop which is somehow too slow to run
DSL. I installed FreeDOS on it and I'm currently using it for keeping a
journal on and writing an interactive fiction game in TADS.

Since I'm keeping a journal on it, it needed to be lockable... which DOS
traditionally has difficulty with. So I wrote up a screensaver program that
does that for me.

Skyler

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 7:10 PM, Michael Robinson
<plu...@robinson-west.com>wrote:

> I like dos when I have an old computer and some old games that
> work under dos.  Running Windows on a 486 is a pain in general.
> Even a low end Pentium these days is slow.
>
> As far as web browsing and dos, isn't dos susceptible to almost
> every single virus on the planet?  Another thing, some people
> want to run dos thinking that it can't browse the Internet.
> What I don't like about Arachne is that it doesn't have any
> kind of filtering apparatus built in.  Internet Explorer does,
> but it's too paranoid.  Not to mention, IE requires either
> Windows or Linux running Wine.  I also don't like the fact
> the Arachne tries to integrate email access assuming a pop
> account.  I use imap.
>
> There is a desire in some cases to network dos, but what for?
> Well, some dos games can be played over a network.  Freedos
> can be upgraded over the Internet, though I'd rather build
> a local repository say on my Linux server and upgrade from
> that.
>
> The most valuable update to freedos that I can think of is
> one that makes it more compatible with MS-DOS.  As far as
> breaking with MS-DOS, that needs to be carefully considered.
> In some cases where Freedos is not MS-DOS compatible, it
> may not be reasonable to make it so.  Ideally, as Freedos
> is seen as a stable dos implementation with compilers and
> assemblers that are free to use, people will develop
> software for it specifically.
>
> I want to go the Netware route because Netware without
> special IPX to IP gateway software isn't Internet
> compatible (at least versions before the switch away
> from IPX).  This seems to be very unpopular though.
> I'd like to see the MARS netware emulator brought
> over to freedos and revived.
>
> What is the purpose of Freedos?  This is something that
> should be carefully considered as efforts to get a new
> release out kick into high gear.  I see the main purpose
> of Freedos being to revive old computers that aren't
> powerful enough to run Windows or Linux and I see it's
> purpose as being to provide a simple OS for the embedded
> computing market.  Yes Freedos can be run in an emulator,
> but that isn't my favorite application of it.
>
> Something that would be nice would be a modified dhcp
> client for freedos that through some reasonable trick
> can accept a different configuration for a particular
> machine than it would normally get.  I'm thinking, an
> isolated network for freedos with an update repository
> on that network would be nice.  The alternative, given
> compatible packet drivers for every dos machine, is to
> manually configure each freedos box that you want to
> isolate.  Yuck!  Ideally, dhcp would ask what kind
> of OS is seeking an IP address and if the answer is
> a DOS OS, it would put it on a different network than
> say a Linux or Windows box.
>
> Freedos needs to be as clean as possible and as stable
> as possible.  Small is good, there should be a very small
> [...]

"Those who do not become dishonest or hostile are the most difficult to
debate. Addressing others in a respectful and considerate manner conveys
favorable impressions of their belief system. Providing rational answers to
questions creates positive image of the person and their beliefs. Thank
goodness there are very few such members and they are greatly outnumbered by
those who are irrational, rabid, intolerant, and disrespectful." - An
atheist