Hi!

> Here is the exact error text from the Word 5.5 for
> MS-DOS load under FreeDOS on a FAT16 partition:
>
> Illegal Instruction occurred
> CS=0530 IP=3006 SS=394A SP=FFDD DS=0000 ES=0317
> EAXX=00000100 EBX=00000530 ECX=00000F00 EDX=00000020
> ESI=000005A8 EDI=00000002 EBP=0000FFDD
> Aborting Program

Searching for a while, I found that you probably talk about

http://download.microsoft.com/download/word50/Wd55_eng/5.5/WIN98/EN-US/Wd55_eng.exe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Word

says that MS released Word 5.5 for MS DOS for free instead of
only publishing a year 2000 fix. On the other hand, while page

http://www.win31.de/board/showtopic.php?threadid=701

only says that the install fails when you try to install the
thesaurus or spellchecker (or maybe does not fail) the page

www.oldversion.com/talk/archive/index.php/t-1080.html

claims that the download is only for owners of Word 5.0 ...?

Anyway... Checking the downloaded 3.5 MB exe file it turns
out that it is a self-extracting ZIP (pkzip) file so you can
also unzip it using unzip instead of running it... Then I get
many "MS Compress archive" compressed files (gzip idea) and
20-something uncompressed files: 850.tbl, ega.sys, hp3si.ini,
various pif and pi2 files, mouse.sys, mw.hlp, printers.doc,
readme.doc, setup.exe, setup.ini, spell-am.lex, thes-am.lex,
vpa.bat, vpa.cmd, wdbf.exe, word55.inf, word.ovl, wrd5read.rtf
and wrd5read.txt ... The doc files are just plain text.

The hp3si.ini file is just ESC %-123...@pjl ENTER LANGUAGE = PCL

$ xxd setup.ini
0000000: 414c 2020 2020 0709 2020 2a45 6c76 6973  AL    ..  *Elvis
0000010: 2a20 000a

The vpa.bat and vpa.cmd files contain:

echo off
rem Patch word 5.5a setup to avoid calling int 10, 1130 with BH > 5
rem This is necessary to avoid hanging problems on older EGA boards
wdbf %1 18000 232 "144 144 144" 18015 232 "144 144 144"

@echo off
rem Patch word 5.5a setup to avoid calling int 10, 1130 with BH > 5
rem This is necessary to avoid hanging problems on older EGA boards
wdbf %1 18000 232 "144 144 144" 18015 232 "144 144 144"

When I run "setup /?" in xdosemu, I get this message:

          To set up Word on a stand-alone computer, type Setup
          To set up Word on a network workstation, type Setup user
          To set up Word on a network server, type Setup network
          To set up Word (version 5.0) on a stand-alone computer, type
             Setup 5.0
          To set up Word (version 5.0) on a network server, type
             Setup network 5.0
          To decompress a file manually and copy to the current directory,
             type Setup /d source
          To decompress a file manually and copy to a new directory, type
             Setup /d source destinationpath
          To decompress a file manually and copy to a new directory and new
             filename, type Setup /d source destinationpath\filename

When I run setup without arguments, it says it will unzip and copy
all files, install monitor, keyboard, mouse and printer drivers, and
provide a readme... and that I need to know whether I use DOS or OS/2
and which printer, mouse and graphics card I use...

Selecting normal (not Tandy, not safe keyboard) and F: (a FAT32 drive
I have in dosemu) and VGA (IBM EGA and MCGA might be good, too) and
no spell checker, thesaurus, printer, lessons, mouse update leads to
(without customizing) asking me for my name and asking whether I want
config / autoexec updates (I do not, syntax differs between DOSes)...

Now I have a 738281 byte word exe etc etc and typing "word" starts
a text editor which looks like EDIT but can do more ;-)

Sooo... In DOSEMU, things seem to work fine in simple settings.
Maybe installing some of the drivers that I skipped can cause
problems in FreeDOS, dunno. And maybe the dosemu built-in HIMEM
and/or EMM386 work better than the ones you used. Try HIMEMX of
www.japheth.de (see JEMM386 homepage) without (J-) EMM386 first,
as it is good to have at least XMS (HIMEM, HIMEMX, similar) but
it can be risky to load any EMM386 (or similar) because those
provide UMB memory to DOS which can overlap with with memory in
use for other things. The two standard solutions are: Not load
any EMM386 or manually tell (X options) EMM386 which UMB regions
it has to avoid :-)

Eric