Hi,

> I always wanted to know this, couldn't find it on google.
> Is it possible to switch from long mode back to let's say real mode?

Probably yes, but very slow. Until people are able to have
more than 64 GB RAM in their PC, using PAE is a lot faster
and easier even though it is not "the technology of the
future".

>> which apps would use it and for what?

> The ram dumper! Or maybe a ram tester?

Ramdumper makes sense, maybe even switching to/from long
mode every few MB would be bearable there. Ramtesters do
already work best without OS, see memtest86+ and memtest86.

> Future applications? :D

Which?

> Don't we have more phantasm? Otherwise poor performance. :p

Do you know any DOS app which is RAM bound and forces
you to have more than, say, 500 MB RAM? Are you sure you
should not write a multi core CPU DOS extender first? ;-)

> Don't you think it's theoretically possible to modify an
> existing DOS extender to
> - save the state
> - switch to long mode
> - do something

While DOS and BIOS are frozen, IRQ cannot be handled.

> - return to state
> - do something in v86

You probably have to switch all down to real mode and
it adds complexity to resurrect the v86 of your EMM386
or "normal DOS extender mode" from that point again.

> - loop
> while staying compatible with all that stuff?

Possible, yes. Useful, probably no.

> For example DOS_extender in wikipedia.
>
> It says it switches all time from v86 OR realmode
> (means not limited to v86) to protected mode and back.

Because v86 TASKS and protected mode TASKS can
exist simultaneously in a 32 bit multitasking
environment. The DOS extender does exactly that.

> Why a switch to long mode shouldn't work?

Because v86 cannot coexist with long mode. You
cannot simply switch tasks, you have to switch
the mode of the whole CPU, much much slower and
much more complex. Even more complex than the
annoying way 286 extenders had to follow to
"reboot" the CPU into real mode when they had
to leave protected mode, I would say.

> Well, for a forensic tool (a ram dumper) a full blown 64 bit
> os is like "operating success, patient dead". Not much sense.

That is true. Otoh, how do you avoid your BIOS destroying
RAM contents already while you boot the forensic tool?

The to-be-analyzed software could put the to-be-hidden
data into the first 1 MB deliberately, as that is very
often checked and wiped at boot to ensure stable boot.

>>> There are some but dd as command line tool is nicer in some cases.

> Mostly graphical tools and on their homepages I don't
> find the term "raw image" or something similar, mostly
> proprietary formats.

How about Linux ghost clones, g4l or so? I also meant
that Heise had a DOS tool for disk imaging which was
almost certainly text mode or at most DEFRAG style text
mode GUI as far as I can remember...

Eric