I picked up that explanation from an article with a more general discussion of
parallel vs serial communications in my IEEE magazine a few years ago.

> People tend to use invalid arguments to support good
> conclusions, making things just confusing. And that is every
> time more common :(

No doubt!  Part of that, though, is because the final design of something
(including pretty much anything that pushes the state of the art) is often a
series of trade-offs between multiple competing factors, such as cost, speed,
reliability, size, future expandability, and of course politics ("not invented
here", etc).  So often there is no single reason they can point to and say "we
did it this way because of x"; it's more like "we did it that way because it
seemed like the best compromise between x, y, z, and a little bit of q".  I
know I have to do a fair bit of my programming that way.

Dave