>> points to the 7zip: http://rugxulo.googlepages.com/xgcdrm24.7z
>
> Would this driver work for recording? on any drive?
>
> Maybe I am just daydreaming :)

No you're not :-).
First, I compiled the latest version of cdrtools (the current one is
way outdated), which is cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD 2.01.01a58.
Then, I discovered that some linux distributions forked cdrtools
because of licencing issues, so I decided to try their fork
(www.cdrkit.org) and successfully compiled that.
Note that genisoimage (mkisofs-equivalent in cdrkit) for some reason
requires -allow-limited-size to be able to create any isos (this is a
bug).
So to test I loaded xgcdrom.sys, then oakaspi.sys (ASPI over ATAPI
driver; http://www.wolfgang-brinkmann.de/bcdw/aspi.sys)
Then I created a test ISO with genisoimage -J -allow-limited-size -o
test.iso testdir...
Then I executed wodim test.iso.

At the end of recording wodim spit out an error message about not
closing the session or something, so I pressed Ctrl-C twice and it
ended the wodim execution.  I then manually ejected the DVD and
re-insterted it.  When I did dir d:\, all of the files in the ISO were
present, and I was able to successfully read the files on the DVD.

So it works, but there are bugs (most likely in cdrkit).  Soon I will
also test the cdrecord I compiled (I already tested mkisofs, which
does not require -allow-limited-size as genisoimage does).  Perhaps
cdrecord will not require Ctrl-C to end the execution; who knows.
Note that I do not know whether the drive I tested on is SATA or not.
Perhaps also wodim has options that will cause it to execute
correctly.  I'll let someone else more familiar with these utilities
do the testing :-).

Does anybody have an opinion as to which is better? (cdrkit vs. cdrtools)
Do I have any willing testers for other drives? (you should probably
use CD-RWs or DVD-RWs)