At the moment I am using this motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131232

There are no ISA slots available I'm afraid. I do have 2 PCI slots, have
tried the SB16 emulation with a Sound Blaster Live! Value PCI card but the
emulation test/diagnostics fails each time.

I'm sure it has something to do with the Chipset and the way they changed
the PCI on modern boards that the SB16 emulation no longer works correctly.
It has something to do with the DDMA which I read somewhere. It had been
ditched a while after Pentium 3 boards aren't manufactured any more.

I know I have the SB16 emulation strings set up correctly from autoexec and
config.sys files for freeDOS, but still it does not work.

The software based SB emulator sounds like it's worth a try but I won't get
the music to play in DOS games since the FM synthesizer isn't supported :-(