Hi D Z,

> www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131232
>
> There are no ISA slots available I'm afraid. I do have 2 PCI slots, have
> tried the SB16 emulation with a Sound Blaster Live! Value PCI card but the
> emulation test/diagnostics fails each time.

As far as I know, the SB Live! PCI creates a virtual soundblaster
in software and sends audio to the AC97-ish hardware, so in theory
you should not depend on the chipset / DDMA / ISA compatibility.

Only hardware based emulation such as ForteMedia FM801 or CMedia
often have that problem. On the other hand, hardware based often
means that you have OPL3 FM hardware, which often works even if
DMA fails. So if your focus is on FM / Adlib, you can try that.

There was something about the SB Live! software - maybe you need
to load EMM386 or JEMM386 (www.japheth.de) and maybe you have to
add a "SB" or similar command line option for (J-) EMM386, too.

You may want to use X=from-to options or otherwise reduce usage
of UMB when you use (J-) EMM386, as in particular on newer main-
boards there can be unmarked areas which must not be used by DOS
while at the same time there are no signs that would help EMM386
to find such areas. Examples are sound, USB, SATA, RAID, NIC...

> The software based SB emulator sounds like it's worth a try but I won't get
> the music to play in DOS games since the FM synthesizer isn't supported :-(

Note that more full emulators such as DOSEMU (Linux) or whole-PC
emulators (Bochs, Qemu, etc) can simulate whatever hardware they
want, including FM synth :-). Emulated CPU of course wastes CPU
time, emulating only other hardware (SB Live drivers, Dosemu) is
faster and using only real hardware (FM801) is of course fastest.

Eric

PS: Why did mameworld move?