Well I finally found a ESS PCI card here:

http://www.recycledgoods.com/item/32052.aspx

Anyone have this card and if so have you already tested this on a modern
motherboard without ISA slots?
I planned on getting it but I want to check and see if someone tried this
with FreeDOS and a modern motherboard, and in case it didn't work even if
all the drivers have been loaded etc.

I assume this unit isn't affected by the NMI requirement and DDMA judging by
that other link earlier:

http://www.it-he.org/sound.htm