> > From: Pat Villani <p...@monmouth.com>
> > Subject: [Freedos-user] Some simple list rules
> > Date: Saturday, June 20, 2009, 8:46 AM
> >
> > 1. Please remember that this is a users mailing list.
> > Many of these folks are non technical and may not under-
> > stand the ramifications of what they are asking for.

Pat, as a person who's been following this list for some time, I'm not
sure that the purpose you've mentioned is being adhered to all that
well. I have been a power user since the days when DOS was cool, and a
lot of the posts still go over my head like a roof. Discussions of
compiling,  listings of scripts (config.sys settings?) that are far
more complicated than I've ever used and many more things give me the
impression that this is much more of a Freedos-Geeks list than a
Freedos-User list.

I just went to the Freedos site, the Wiki and the How-To pages and am
still about as baffled as to how to make Freedos work for me as I have
been all along.

The impression I have (despite the statement that Freedos can pretty
much run any software designed for MS-DOS) is that the kind of system
I used as a 100% DOS user would not work, but requires a lot more
stuff in the CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT. Let me give as an example a
basic CONFIG/AUTOEXEC setup for MS-DOS (5.x and higher);

CONFIG.SYS:
device=HIMEM.SYS
device=EMM386.EXE
files=40
buffers=40
devicehigh=NANSI.SYS

AUTOEXEC.BAT:
@echo off
cls
prompt $p$g
path=C:\;C:\DOS;C:\BAT;C:\UTIL
lh SMARTDRV.EXE 2048
cls
c:
cd \
ver

(I've probably forgotten something; it's been quite awhile since I've
written these files from scratch; or tinkered with them at all, for
that matter.)

I found nothing in the HOWTOs on the order of "Freedos for Dummies" or
"Freedos for experienced MS-DOS Users." I honestly don't know what I
could reasonably expect to do in a Freedos environment, using this
configuration that would work just fine in an MS-DOS environment. If
there are samples of basic CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT files lurking
around, I can't readily find them. And if I can't find them, people
with even less knowledge aren't going to, either.

I wish I could offer to pitch in on the kinds of things that I see are
needed, but it's beyond my reach at this time. Plus, considering all
the gobbledygook I read here, I'm not even sure where I'd begin.

All I can say is that for Freedos' sake, whatever effort some of y'all
can make to set out a "welcome mat" that explains the differences
between MS-DOS and FreeDOS, particularly as far as configuration goes
and how to resolve issues involving common programs that don't quite
run "as-is" under Freedos would be very much appreciated, I believe.

Thanks for "listening".