Hi Michael,

> I picked up a packet driver for the D845PEBT2 built in nic, but
> whether it's wget or lynx, trying to execute the application simply
> causes the computer to reset.

Maybe it helps to tell emm386 to not use any UMB, or maybe
it helps to load no emm386 at all? As you say you are using
netboot - it can be that you simply must not access the net
card from netboot and from DOS drivers at the same time. In
that case, it might help to first copy everything to ramdisk
and run DOS there, to make sure that the netboot file access
is not active / busy while you run networked DOS apps...

> Microsoft client is what I need, but there are no free ndis
> drivers for my built in Intel nic.

Does msclient need ndis? I believe there are wrappers which
turn ndis or odi drivers into packet drivers or the other
way round...

> Would someone pretty please replace Microsoft client with
> something that works with crynwr style packet drivers?

What you can try is the DOS port of SMBCLIENT. It is only a
"command line ftp client" user experience but it should be
enough to copy all the files that you need from the network
to a ramdisk. I am not aware of tools / drivers which can
run in the background and access SMB shares in DOS. Apart
from MS Client, of course.

> When I say network booted dos I mean that I'm actually loading it off
> of a tftp server.
>
> Microsoft Client 3.0 doesn't seem that complex.

Then I wonder why it uses such extreme amounts of RAM ;-)

> I'm surprised the makers of Samba haven't looked into producing
> an open source more up to date freedos compatible alternative.

As said above - somebody already compiled a DOS version of the
Samba smbclient. The problem is that a "running in the background
network drive driver" needs to be very DOS specific while the
"mount a Samba drive in Linux" driver is very Linux specific so
you cannot easily make a DOS version from the Linux driver...

Eric