Op 18-10-2009 19:12, Michael Robinson schreef:
> I know about prodos.exe, it requires Windows to
> extract the drivers from it and the drivers you
> extract are probably Windows drivers.

should be a DOS Ndis driver in that, as well as packet driver. Ofcourse
also windows ndis drivers. Intel's drivers seem quite generic.

> An update on the reset problem, updating to kernel
> 2039 and dropping emm386 updating himem as well
> seems to fix the problem.  Another advantage of
> kernel 2039 is that one can fit more text on the
> screen.  I use wget to load in programs to a
> a ramdrive that I created via fdauto.bat.  The
> wget I use is the latest version and I had to
> add cwsdpmi to my 2.88 meg boot image.

which Wget you're using? there's an ancient DOS port but wouldn't mind
more up to date version ported from GNU/Linux.

> In addition to games, I've tried Arachne with mixed
> results.  It doesn't work if I install it to C:\fdos1
> even if I add that to the path variable.  It sort of
> works if I add it to c:\.  For some reason, the mouse
> goes nuts after a while.  Another problem is that I
> want to use IMAP instead of pop3.

No idea on these issues, though people in the past have made single
bootdisks containing a working Arachne as well.
> The next logical thing to try is adding ssh2dos to
> the things I wget and install from fdauto.bat.  With
> that, I can in theory log in to the tftp server and
> change the netboot image.

I've used Wget to download CURL, then upload a modified file to my own
router's usb stick. Had no luck with HTGET uploading/downloading, or
Wget uploading. No experience with using FTP.EXE scripted either. Think
about 6 months ago someone wrote to this list mentioning a lightweight
TCP/IP stack.
> I'd like to get battletech II working, but to do that
> I need to fool it into thinking that it is installed
> to a hard disk somehow.  Apparently, there is something
> called memdisk that I need to do that.

That might work if you can somehow create a harddisk image and populate
it with MBR and active formatted partition and bootfiles and your
game.Maybe SUBST instead or a Ramdisk C:?
> I still want an alternative to Microsoft Client that
> works with the Intel non NDIS packet driver for my
> built in eexpress pro 10/100 fast ethernet card.
> The alternative should be samba compatible and
> unloadable/reloadable on demand.

I think SMBCLIENT which was mentioned earlier is the only program to
access SMB and possibly NFS shares, but it's no TSR
> How hard would it be to create a tsr that allows one
> to use Linux network card drivers under freedos?  The
> need to find a third party network card driver in this
> day and age is a pain considering that Microsoft doesn't
> support dos anymore and most commercial software outlets
> don't either.

Sounds sheer impossible. What I do wonder though, which are the hardware
specific parts of packet drivers, and which generic? crynwr has
opensource ones, maybe new packet drivers could be written for new
networking cards.

As you're netbooting anyway, you're not limited to floppy images I
think, use harddisk images instead perhaps.QEMU should be able to make them.