Hi,

Two months ago I sent a few messages about file corruption
problems with DOSLFN which I had experienced back in 2008. Now
finally I could do some more testing. Here are the results.

The test was simple: compressing a couple of long-name files with
InfoZip, with help of the File Wizard file manager. This is what
I intended to do with DOSLFN, so this is what I tested.

After doing that, I ran DOSFSCK (two-pass mode), which found
numerous errors. The same kind of problem observed last year
occurred again. Damaged files were in folders (apparently)
unrelated to the tested files. This is an example of the DOSFSCK
screen output:

Checking files and directories.../BANC/SEG/COPIAS
  Has a large number of bad entries. (31/39)

/BANC/INSPECAO
  Has a large number of bad entries. (31/40)

./DOC/AMBI/DIVERS
  Has a large number of bad entries. (28/67)

In addition to damaged files and folders, several undeletable
files and folders appeared, with names composed of illegal
characters.

I decided to run further tests using other file managers, because
of what Eric had said:

> Note that NDN or FileWizard might cause some troubles when
> used in together with DOSLFN etc, you never know?

So the file managers Connect and DosZip were tested for file
compression, decompression and deletion from archives. This time
everything went smoothly, and DOSFSCK did not detect any errors
afterwards. The test was repeated a couple of times.

The conclusion seems to be that the problem lies with the
combination of File Wizard, DOSLFN and perhaps InfoZip; they are
somehow incompatible.

I'm not asking the FreeDOS team to do anything about it, because
this doesn't seem to be a big priority, since it apparently
affects only File Wizard. I'm simply reporting the fact.

Regards,

Marcos

Marcos Favero Florence de Barros
Campinas, SP, Brazil