trying to reformat for FreeDOS a 6 GB hard drive that previously had Windows

:-)

> After running Fdisk to create three 2 GB partitions and make one
> bootable, I ran Format, but it gave the error message:

Works for me. In FreeDOS ? Did you reboot after FDISK ???

> Running CPB0.COM (Clear Pre Boot v. 1.00 [06-88]

good (does it support LBA ???) Other ways to do:

- DBAN
- WDe disk editor

> * Clear MBR partition table by writing zero bytes to it
> * Change partition type from type 06 (Fat16) to 0e (Fat16 LBA)

In the empty MBR ??? FDISK on an empty disk should do the job.
NO, I don't like the FDISK "design" but still using it for lack of alternatives.

--