Em 20-05-2010 15:44, Liam Proven escreveu:

> You have been lucky. I have seen many incorrectly-partitioned systems
> with multiple primaries where some drives were not visible, on various
> versions of MS-DOS and up to Windows 95.

Not Lucky, just hard work. Partitions were invented without entented
partitions, so it worked from the first...

> It's not a good idea; unpredictable things can happen, such as writing
> to the wrong "C" drive and causing corruption.

I didn't say that it is easy ;)

>> The rules of letter attibuting are very strange:
>> 1) the first (sometives the active) partition of each drive
>> 2) all extended partitions from each drive at a time. There were issues
>> as to sequences in recurrent extended partitions.
>> 3) all remaining primary partitions of each drive.
>
> Wrong way round.
>
> It is:
>   - enumerate all primaries, drive by physical drive

Not at all.

>   - then enumerate all logical drives on each physical drive, stepping
> through the drives as each is exhausted

Ok

> It is logical but confusing. Win7 no longer does this at all - the
> boot drive is always C;

That is a definition: boot is allways C:

> if there was an existing DOS-level C, it seems to disappear.

There are lots of bugs in this area.

FYI: I started using PC-DOS 1.1... so I have a long history of dos and
don'ts...

Alain