Hi James, Uli, Rugxulo, happy new year everybody :-)

do I understand correctly that you want to copy from
MacOS to FreeDOS but both run on the same hardware,
DOS running in VirtualBox? As Mac understands FAT,
it might help to copy the files to any FAT drive, eg
USB stick, USB harddisk or floppy, and then "connect"
that to your VirtualBox (probably configuration thing
which needs restarting the DOS)...

> I have a folder on my desktop on my MacBook pro that I
> want to copy into freedos. I copied the folder to an
> external USB floppy on my laptop. But freedos isn't
> recognizing it. I was thinking that this might be a
> virtualbox issue rather than freedos.

Note that for normal PC BIOSes you often get USB drives
recognized by having them connected before DOS boots...
In that case, DOS does not need a driver as the BIOS is
doing the work. In virtualbox, support might differ and
if you try using DOS USB drivers there, virtualbox will
have to simulate USB hardware/chipset connected to your
actual USB drive, which might complicate things.

There was some page by Uli Hansen about the use of
various network stuff with DOS, MS network shares
via MSCLIENT included as far as I remember. Again,
such stuff is harder in a virtual PC than in a real
PC. In particular real PCI network cards are easy.
Old ISA cards and external USB cards are harder and
wireless is even very hard. PCIe should be okay :-)

> Is there a way to have freedos recognize files on  my
> hard drive? Like can I copy files from my macs hard
> drive into freedos?

If you run DOS in a virtual PC, this will depend on
the config and abilities of that virtual PC mostly.
Plus a bit on DOS drivers, if you need any at all.

In DOSEMU things are usually easy, but that is only
available for Linux. Not sure about BSD Unixes such
as MacOS in that context.

>> Nobody mentioned it yet, but I think the real problem is that the FD
>> 1.0 .ISO had broken network detection. Or at least that's what I
>> heard. I don't understand networking at all, and most of my hardware
>> seems to always lack drivers, so I never bothered trying in FreeDOS
>> (and have troubles even with more popular OSes, yuck).

There are floppy images like NWDSK (veder.com?) which
autodetect many network chipsets. I assume you could
boot those in a virtual PC as well, even using virtual
floppy drives. Or put them on USB stick or CD-R with
the help of for example SYSLINUX / ISOLINUX / MEMDISK.
Depends a lot on what you want to do whether networking
is really what you want to use :-)

Eric