Hi Alvin,

> Hi Eric --  I now know what I need which is X86  Real Mode. using WATCOM C.
> I plan to use FREERTOS on FREEDOS. Thanks. ALvin....

Actually DJGPP also has good functionality to measure
exact timing. FreeDOS does not use much CPU no matter
which mode you use - real mode or vm86 - you can also
use DJGPP. However, you should to try to access files
at time critical moments. Also, I found USB access to
be slow, for example if you have USB mouse or keyboard
with BIOS support (the BIOS makes them look like PS/2
but access is slow that way). What else could be slow?

Maybe handling too many hardware interrupts in little
time. You can use for example uclock() to measure time.

Of course doing everything in real mode means that it
is a bit faster to call DOS / BIOS interrupts and to
handle hardware interrupts, but you have less RAM to
access. You could "swap" some data to/from XMS which
is relatively fast.  Note that if you use protected
mode (DJGPP or similar) you want to configure your
DOS extender (CWSDPMI, Japheth HX, DPMIONE, DOS32A)
to not use a swap file, as swapping is slow again.
Also note: DOS is only in real mode if no EMM386 or
similar protected mode based drivers are loaded :-)

Eric