2011/4/10, Jack:

> Or, in fact, could this maybe [... just MAYBE!] be another case
> of the Wintel Consortium software BRATS being UNABLE to achieve
> their targets, using only their college-professors' and bosses'
> much-beloved "C", and it is actually THOSE brats who are asking
> for such "help"??

This reminds me somewhat a "Forth's Dillemma" rant:

#v+
My own life-experiences with such a "Great Firm" was with Bell
Laboratories, part of AT&T at the time. [..]
For 20 years, I believed in these objectives for excellence in
engineering, always assuming that it was for the benefit of our
"customers" and therefor of interest to "management". Until one day,
when talking to a department head (a friend) about my design
objectives and why some of upper management seem to dislike me for it,
he pulled me into his office, for privacy, and told me the secret.
"The users of our phones and long-distance services are not our
customers, the regulatory agencies of the government are. AT&T gets a
"fixed profit margin" on any new equipment they install, the more it
costs to manufacture, the higher our profits"! Striving all the time
for excellence in engineering, getting 12 patents for AT&T, and
finally learning it was not a desirable goal for my management.
#v-

http://www.msmisp.com/futuretest/Forth's_Dilemma.htm

--
regards,