Eric,

> Of course DOS will freeze for a short moment when it has to
> wait for a harddisk to spin up again, but as I never had a
> bigger problem than that with power-saving in DOS without
> UIDE, I would like to suggest the opposite of what the UIDE
> readme.txt seems to say at the moment:
>
> Could UIDE be used to configure the power saving timeout of
> your harddisks? The involved IDE/ATA commands are relatively
> simple.   They could be sent to either all disks which, based
> on their self-ID, support power saving, or to one selected
> disk, using any suitable command line syntax for the latter.
>
> Of course UIDE should in addition be able to wait in a safe
> way when it encounters a sleeping disk which has to spin up
> first.   Should be possible with small error handling
> changes ...

The problem is "WHERE" does UIDE or any other driver wait for
a sleeping, i.e. "stand-by" hard disk to awaken again??   The
ATA specs do not make this clear.   Can UIDE simply issue a
drive-select command to the disk and await "ready" for it?
Or, does UIDE actually have to issue a "seek" or "read", and
then retry that command when first it fails??

If you can determine a reliable way for ALL disks to "come out
of stand-by" mode, i.e. at what point UIDE should have a long
time-out value, I can program that.   But, it must be COMMON
to all drives, NO exceptions, or it might cause just as much
TROUBLE as it resolves!

Jack R. Ellis