Hoi Bernd,

> As Tom already mentioned, FreeDOS is usually included (typically on the
> support CD) as an 'in-your-face' towards Microsoft with their 'every PC
> has to be sold with an OS'...

> However with the move of motherboard companies as well as BIOS writers
> AMI and Award/Phoenix towards EFI/UEFI instead of BIOS, these practices
> will likely come to an end.

Not really - www.coreboot.org/SeaBIOS you can simply load an UEFI
payload which implements the classic PC BIOS interface. Actually
it seems that modern BIOSes already do this and just do not talk
much about also supporting UEFI, maybe because Windows still runs
worse with their not yet complete and stable UEFI core behind ;-)

For example some AM3 / AM3+ boards claim to have the best of both
worlds by supporting GPT partition boot from huge disks thanks to
their UEFI under the hood while still "having a normal BIOS"...

If a very futuristic BIOS would only show the UEFI side and save
the "ROM" flash space to provide a classic BIOS, you can load your
SeaBIOS after booting an UEFI-capable boot loader or maybe you can
flash SeaBIOS as additional module on your mainboard. All of course
speculation from my side as I have not seen such BIOSes yet :-p

You can also use SeaBIOS with Coreboot if you want to go fully open
source but I still hope that mainboard makers know more about their
hardware and should ship drivers themselves. On the other hand, you
know that many ACPI tables are quite broken, forcing OS writers to
create workarounds, people even started to collect homegrown tables.