Hi, just a guess but...

>> If certain programs are loaded immediately after booting, the
>> computer appears to be locked, but after moving the mouse
>> everything is back to normal, and the machine will not lock again
>> until the next boot.

> If you're not loading the mouse high, I can't imagine any conflicts.
> ("ctmouse /w" forces to load low, IIRC.)

> You're sure it's frozen and not just slow (resetting mouse driver)??

Depending on the mouse driver you use, maybe your mouse is PS/2
or USB-BIOS-emulating-PS/2 and somehow concurrent access with
the keyboard crashes the 8042 / keyboard / PS/2 / similar I/O
controller, due to buggy BIOS, buggy DOS drivers or both...?

Or not crashes but makes an IRQ go missing and then the next
IRQ from the mouse activity gets things back to normal?

Eric