Am 14.08.11 21:43, schrieb julio cortese:
> You understood well, but i already have some drivers for the ethernet card,
> and the question is: as they are for win32 will they work on freedos? what
> kind of extension do they should have and, how do i install a driver?.

Okay, you have a Atheros L2 nic. Congrats!
Thanks to the great guys at <http://netbootdisk.com/> we have a
working NDIS driver for that. I already extracted it for you to this
place: <http://lazybrowndog.net/ATL2>

So please download the driver. We will make it act like a packet
driver in FreeDOS.

If you like to understand what you are doing, please read my
description of how to get NDIS drivers to work with DOS at:
<http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/freedos/index.php?title=Networking_FreeDOS_-_NDIS_driver_installation>

In short just follow these instructions:

1. Make a directory C:\NET

2. Copy the downloaded file L2.DOS into C:\NET

3. Get the first disk of the free MS Client from Microsoft:
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/Clients/MSCLIENT/DSK3-1.EXE

4. Save the file DSK3-1.exe to an empty directory for instance: C:\TEST

5. Run DSK3-1.exe. It will unzip all the files into the empty folder
C:\TEST.

6. Two of the files needed are still compressed. Uncompress them by
running these two commands inside C:\TEST:

expand -r protman.do_
expand -r protman.ex_

7. Copy the three files protman.dos, protman.exe and netbind.com from
C:\TEST to C:\NET. Afterwards you may delete C:\TEST.

8. Create a file with the name PROTOCOL.INI inside the C:\NET
directory. Edit it and fill in the following lines:

[protman]
DriverName=PROTMAN$

[ATL2]
DriverName=ATL2$

[PKTDRV]
drivername=PKTDRV$
bindings=ATL2
intvec=0x60
chainvec=0x68

9. Add these lines to the end of your fdconfig.sys:

DEVICEHIGH=C:\NET\PROTMAN.DOS /I:C:\NET
DEVICEHIGH=C:\NET\L2.DOS
DEVICEHIGH=C:\FDOS\BIN\DIS_PKT.DOS

10. Add this line to your autoexec.bat:

C:\NET\NETBIND.COM

11. Reboot. You should now have a working packet driver for your nic.

Ulrich

PS: Loading the above ndis/packet driver shim consumes of course more
memory than a native packet driver. Unfortunately I couldn't find such
a native packet driver for the Atheros L2. You might want to search
yourself to be sure.