Hi Ralf,

my idea was that the serial hardware device to USB hardware
port conversion was done in hardware, so "either covered by
working hardware or hopeless"... Next step is getting from
real USB port to anything accessible inside a VM and I had
the idea that a typical VM shows USB to guests as USB, too.

Of course that means more work for DOS then, but still ;-)
Probably depends on the VM whether it prefers pass-through
of raw USB or rather "made up" devices from host OS drivers.

I think it is certainly worth a try. Of course with first
trying with DOS using real USB on real hardware then :-)

Eric