Hi,

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 3:11 PM, Wayne Graves <wrgra...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>  I needed something standalone to run dos disk tools with and was hoping to
> use Freedos.

DOS disk tools on FreeDOS? Shouldn't be a problem.   ;-)

> I was also trying to figure out a way to get Spinrite to run on a fob.

Spinrite (famously?) works with FreeDOS, though I've not tried personally.

http://www.grc.com/sr/faq.htm

"SpinRite is self-contained, including its own bootable FreeDOS
operating system"

> I don't have any systems with floppy drives anymore and I discovered
> that I can't boot freedos from a CD with my current configuration,

I wonder if latest UIDE would work better (assuming you're only using
"old" FD 1.0 from 2006). If you're adventurous (and willing to accept
alpha quality bugs), try 1.1 test #3.

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/1.1-test3/

> I suspect
> it's because I am in AHCI for the SATA interfaces but having a FOB is a
> better solution since I have systems that don't have a CD/DVD or a floppy

No floppy I would understand (though USB drives exist), but no CD/DVD?
Must be a netbook.

> and all of them have USB's and if the problem is AHCI it's a pain to go into
> the BIO's and switch back and forth continuously to try out some standalone
> tool.

Don't worry, MS Win8 will "fix" that for you.   :-P

> If I can build fobs with everything on them that I can boot it makes
> it all earier since they are so easy to transport

For completeness, I'm listing this (though you don't need floppies),
aka Rawrite for Windows:

http://www.chrysocome.net/rawwrite

If you don't need persistent (modifiable) storage, you can use UNetBootIn:

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

> and it' hard to get a CD in your pocket ;)

Mini-CDs might work (e.g. "old" DamnSmallLinux swore by them) though I
dunno if all drives handle them.