Hello Louis,

I finally got desire to mess with network in FreeDOS.
I got somewhat the same results as you did: ping, wget works. arachne
does not and takes 100% of CPU in VBox.
But i think you missed this thing from Hansen VBox webpage:
* After the installation choose the new VM on the left side of the
VirtualBox window. On the right side scroll down to the "Network"
section and click on "Network".
* Enable the network adapter. Choose "Bridged Adapter". In the section
"name" choose your hosts connection to the network (WLAN or
Ethernet/eth0).

By default VBox uses NAT and not the 'bridged adapter'. Anyway, my ISP
uses l2tp so i managed to allow arachne work with VBoxs NAT.

Here's how i did it:
Make sure you choose option 3 on this screen:
(http://lazybrowndog.net/freedos/virtualbox/Vbox-menu11.png)
Now, you get something like this:
(http://i29.fastpic.ru/big/2011/1029/3c/a23500efe7270bd634d2263d5609e93c.jpg)
Write down IPADDR,NETMASK,GATEWAY,NAMESERVER.

Now open C:/FDOS/wattcp.cfg and modify it with your parameters.
Here how it looks for me:
(http://i29.fastpic.ru/big/2011/1029/66/ebbd618d7ef83fa04fe98b3c90e7de66.jpg)
And now run 'arachne' and it should work. Sadly it has no cyrillic so
its useless. :D
Bye.